Chas Rant

Monday, February 06, 2006

Stage fright

My now defunct blog was never read by anyone. And of course neither is this one, who am I kidding? The difference is, I have a presence now around some amazing writers. I'm not a writer, I'm a geek that sometimes wants to write thoughts down. But faced with the audience of accomplished writers is actually making me shy...So a few gentle personal blog updates to avoid any attempt to try to appear like I am writing for others.

Two weeks until I head to Breckenridge. What was originally going to be a 5 couple vacation, slipped to 3 couples and then one couple bailed even after all non-refundables had been paid, craziness. So, my wife's best friend and her new husband will be joining us for a week of skiing. My wife doesn't downhill ski, she spends the whole time at the cross country lodge. Sure maybe she actually goes out on the trails some but you can't knock the free hot cocoa, hot athletic guys and cozy fireplace. I think I envy her choice of winter activity. Me, I snowboard, I have for years. Not very impressively, but I love to cruise around on the easier slopes and spend time in my own head. I'm not aggressive, I just prefer a single plank to two planks that could decide to go in different directions. I gave up skis about 15 years ago, and haven't looked back.

I am a bit concerned about how the other couple plans to spend their time. I am pretty sure that he will have his own skis, sharpened first of course, tailored to his exacting requirements. They will probably be color coordinated to his jacket and matching pairs of pants. The two of them will probably spend most of the time getting to that "other run they heard about that looks really tough on the map."

Yes, I have some anxiety about my vacation being intertwined with any of my wife's sorority sisters and their men.

I haven't been to Colorado since I moved away from Boulder three and a half years ago. I miss Boulder every once in a while. The distance from family was tough, I grew up in Orlando, FL and Amy's parents live in Greenville. We saw very little of our families, and with the birth of Charlie, Amy really wanted to head back.

I can't figure out a slick way to get from Breck to Boulder, I would love to spend a day on Pearl Street. I remember there was a bus way to do it, it involved taking a bus to Denver, switching over and then heading to Boulder, but if that takes longer than 3 hours, that would be a tough day.

And of course the hot topic for me...How out of shape and altitude sick am I going to be when I get there. I've been eating much better than I ever have in my life. I cut caffeine out of my diet since it adds to altitude sickness. I am barefoot 75% of the time, the rest of the time I have on sandals or birkenstocks, so to prepare for snowboard boots I have started wearing my k-swiss all day everyday. Cramps were intense the first couple days, now I only cramp up while actually on the treadmill. I'm up to 30 minute slow jog/walk. Will be adding 1 minute runs every 9 minutes today. I don't need to be able to run a marathon, but I need to be able to deal with short, 30 minute, spurts of intensity. Don't worry, even I am rolling my eyes. I am so gonna keel over on the slopes. Why couldn't we have gone to France? We could have gone for nearly two weeks for what Breck is costing.

Poker update: I am in the black for the first time ever and my SnG record has a positive ROI even taking in to account the very first few times I played without a clue. SnG's are messing up my low-limit grinding. I come back from a tourney and play way too loose/aggro for a limit table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home